There is heightened tension in Edo State following the arrest of two key suspects in the brutal killing of 16 northern Nigerian travelers in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government Area, last week.
The Department of State Security (DSS) apprehended the suspects based on credible intelligence, as confirmed by Fred Itua, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Monday Okpehbolo.
Itua revealed that law enforcement agencies are actively searching for other individuals implicated in the heinous act.
“The DSS arrested two primary suspects in Uromi after gathering reliable intelligence. Other key suspects involved in the killings are still being pursued,” Itua stated.
The arrested suspects have been transferred to Abuja for further interrogation and prosecution by the relevant authorities.
A source informed The PUNCH that 14 other individuals detained in connection with the incident have been transferred to the Force Headquarters as investigations continue.
The transfer aligns with a directive from the Inspector-General of Police.
“As per the IGP’s instructions, the suspects have been moved to Abuja, and the investigation remains ongoing,” the source disclosed.
In response to the tragedy, Governor Okpehbolo had earlier promised compensation to the victims’ families during a meeting with the Kano State government.
However, Itua could not confirm whether this compensation would be financial. He did note that both state governments are working together to ensure the victims’ families receive appropriate restitution.
“We are collaborating with the Kano State Government to determine a suitable form of compensation, but the exact details are still being finalized,” Itua explained.
A local resident of Uromi, who identified himself only as Michael, expressed concern about the growing fear in the community, with many people fleeing their homes out of fear of being mistakenly arrested by the police.
“Residents in the area where the killings occurred are leaving their homes, worried about being arrested by the police, who are under pressure to apprehend all culprits,” Michael said. He added that protests had erupted at the Ojuromi of Uromi palace, where women voiced their grievances over the indiscriminate arrests.
Meanwhile, the Edo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has accused opposition political parties of planning to incite unrest in the state.
APC Chairman Jarret Tenebe claimed that certain opposition groups are working together to destabilize the state and create chaos.
“We have received credible information that opposition leaders, in collaboration with others, are attempting to provoke a crisis in Edo to make it ungovernable,” Tenebe said during a press conference.
“Their ultimate aim is to pressure President Bola Tinubu into declaring a state of emergency in Edo, as they lack confidence in the outcome of the Edo Election Petition Tribunal.”